Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Chocolate-Frosted Peanut Butter Bars

These were very, very good.  Like the recent White Texas Sheet Cake, this recipe is usually baked in a jelly-roll pan (15x11 inches.... I think!  I'm not sure) but since my oven doesn't fit a pan of that size, I baked it in my cute, handy-dandy, half-size jelly-roll pan (12x9).  It's a good thing I cut this recipe in half, too, because if I had eaten any more of this, things wouldn't be good.  My baby would have been born even bigger!  :D  (I made this while I was still pregnant).  This is a great dessert to take to a pot-luck or gathering, as long as nobody is allergic to peanuts, that is!  Anyway, I think I'm delirious and not making sense.  It's from lack of sleep.  Here is the recipe!  (Well, almost....)

Note:  You can slather on some melted peanut butter between the actual bar layer and the frosting.  I chose not to do that because 1) I was almost out of peanut butter at that point anyway and 2)  I was lazy and wanted to skip that extra step.  It's up to you!  I will not include that step in the recipe below.  Also, if you want the full (huge) recipe, click on the link below.  Also.... for the frosting, I had to cut 1/3 cup in half, and I kind of just guessed on that.  I put 2 1/2 tablespoons, which I know is not exact.  It worked out perfectly for me.  If you need to be more exact, go ahead and figure out what it really is!
Chocolate-Frosted Peanut Butter Bars
adapted from Our Best Bites

Cookie Base
1/2 cup real butter (1 stick) at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cups brown sugar
3/4 cups peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups quick oats

Fudge Frosting
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 1/2 tablespoons boiling water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12x9 cookie sheet (half jelly-roll pan) lightly with non-stick spray and set aside.

2.  Cream butter and sugars for 2-3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add peanut butter and vanilla and beat until combined. Add egg and yolk, one at a time, and beat between each addition. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt and add mixture to dough. Beat to combine. Add oats and mix until incorporated. Press dough into prepared pan into a flat layer. Bake for about 10-12 minutes. The center should be puffed and set, but still soft.

3.  While crust is baking, prepare frosting. Whisk together powdered sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Add butter (make sure it’s soft!), boiling water, and vanilla. Beat until smooth and glossy.

4.  When cookie crust is done baking spread on frosting. Let cool (or leave slightly warm) and cut into squares to serve.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**/

No comments: