Saturday, August 27, 2011

Peanut Butter Ice Cream Topping

My husband and I were ordering some treats from Nuts in Bulk a few weeks ago.  (They have delicious cashews, pepitas, macadamia white chocolate butter, Jelly Bellies, etc, and they ship very fast!)  As I was browsing the website, I came across Peanut Butter Ice Cream Topping, and it looked sooo good.  It was kind of expensive, and I wanted to try my hand at making it, so I did a few days later.  I found a few recipes online and settled on one to use.  I used more peanut butter and reduced the butter, and I think doing this made it super thick, but it wasn't a bad thing.  It just got even thicker when it hit the cold ice cream.  In the future, I'd like to experiment more with this recipe, maybe adding some evaporated milk or honey to thin it out a little.  It was very good as-is, though!  And using sweetened condensed milk makes it very easy. 

Warning: do not walk away from the stove while this is heating up; mine burned very badly because I didn't stir it enough.  I was able to pour it off into a new pan without scraping the bottom to save it.  (The burned stuff stayed behind, stuck to the first pan).  Just be careful!

Peanut Butter Ice Cream Topping
adapted from In Katrina's Kitchen

1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch sea salt

1.  Combine all ingredients over medium-low heat until butters are melted and incorporated, stirring constantly. 

2. Use warm or store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.


**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**/

No comments: