Saturday, September 24, 2011

Cast-Iron Baked Rice Pilaf

This is one of my favorite ways to eat rice.  It is so good and tasty.  It also uses brown rice, which makes it a bit healthier than some other pilafs. I've made this many times but have never been able to get a really good photo, so I've never posted.  Well, I finally want to post it, and am just using a photo I took last year.  It will have to do!

The last time I made this, I first sauteed the onions, and then added the raw rice to let it get brown and nutty- an idea from the blogger behind Eating, Etc (where this recipe comes from in the first place!)  It's good both ways (meaning, no browning of the rice) but I really prefer it the "new" way.  Both ways, this rice gets a bit crusty along the edges of the pan, which is definitely my favorite part.  Make sure to watch it those last few minutes of baking, though, so it doesn't get more than crusty edges!

Cast-Iron Baked Rice Pilaf
from Eating, Etc.

4-6 servings

1Tbs. butter
1 onion, chopped
1-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup water (Or, use one can broth + 3/4 cup water)
1-1/2 cups brown rice (basmati if you can get it!)
sea salt, to taste

1) Preheat oven to 400°F.

2) Melt butter in medium cast-iron skillet, over medium heat, & sauté onion.  If desired, brown the rice at this point, too.

3) Stir in broth, water, rice (if not browning), & salt if using.

4) Place cast-iron skillet in preheated oven (un-covered) and bake at 400°F for 45 minutes to an hour, until rice is tender.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**/

No comments: