Monday, September 12, 2011

Chocolate Banana Shake (Smoothie)

This was sooooo good!  I saw the original recipe on Tastespotting last week, and wanted to make it ASAP.  At the time, I only had two frozen bananas, but in the next few days, I added two more to my stash.  The recipe above only has frozen bananas, 1% milk, and unsweetened cocoa powder.  Oh yeah- there's like one ice cube because I had forgotten about them and then had no room to add more, lol.  I did add a few spoonfuls of natural (homemade) peanut butter.  I didn't have the recipe in front of me when making this, so I didn't realize I was supposed to add some sweetener, as well (agave syrup).  I added no sweetener at all and this was just amazing!  I used double the bananas and cocoa powder, and the frozen bananas gave this drink an ice-cream, milk-shake like quality.  This seriously tasted like a really good, thick milkshake.  It wasn't overwhelmingly banana-flavored.  It was just so good.  My whole family loved it!

In the future, if I added peanut butter, I'd add more (or just leave it out, since I couldn't taste mine at all).  The original recipe also called for cinnamon, but I had forgotten about this as well.  I'm glad I left it out; I love cinnamon, but I loved these just as they were. 

I'll be excited when my bananas start turning spotty now!  :)  Peeled bananas store very well in the freezer.  I highly recommend just keeping them in a freezer-safe bag; then you can just add one here or there whenever they start getting too ripe for you.  When you have enough, make this recipe!  :)
Chocolate Banana Shake (Smoothie)
adapted from Cook's Hideout
Serves 2 adults and 3 children :)

4 peeled, frozen bananas
2 cups low-fat milk (dairy, soy, oat, almond etc- anything works)
3-4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
a few ice cubes 

1.  Blend all the ingredients until smooth. Enjoy!!
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**/

2 comments:

LadyJayPee said...

Now I'm intrigued. We rarely have leftover bananas. I only buy one, and take 2-3 days to eat it because they're always so huge!

What a Dish! said...

That's because you're so delicate. Ja ja ja! You should try this- it's good. I'd cut the recipe in half for you guys though.