I love using blue cornmeal (which is a totally natural product, by the way, made from blue corn.) On my blue cornmeal bag, it states that blue corn was once nearly extinct. And it has been hard to find for me lately; I finally found some Bob's Red Mill on Vitacost. I love Vitacost and Bob's Red Mill!! If you have blue cornmeal, also try these delish Blue Cornmeal Pancakes. And for more cast-iron baking, here is a Buttermilk Cornbread recipe.
Blue Cornmeal Cornbread in Cast-Iron
adapted from Eating, Etc
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup softened butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1/2 cup ww pastry flour)
1 Tbs. baking powder
1-1/4 cups blue cornmeal
1-1/3 cups milk
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease 10-1/2” cast-iron skillet and place in oven while it is preheating.
2. In a large bowl, cream together sugar, butter, salt, & vanilla. Stir in eggs and mix well.
3. In a separate medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, & blue cornmeal.
4. Alternately stir flour mixture & milk into egg mixture and beat until well-blended.
5. Bake in preheated cast-iron skillet for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm with butter & honey.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**