Friday, October 21, 2011

Slow Cooker Mexican Black Beans

We had these delicious black beans with fajitas a while ago.  They were the pefect side dish for that.  I only made a half-recipe, and we still had leftovers for days.  Good things beans last a few days in the fridge.  The next few days, I made myself a Black Bean Quesadilla for lunch using these and it was very tasty.  The last day I ate these, I just warmed them up in the micorwave and topped them with a bit of light sour cream and cilantro, and ate them that way.  I love beans, and these are good just by themselves!

Since I did make a half-recipe of this, I was able to use the half-can of tomatoes that I had stored in the fridge after making this bean recipe.  I will reflect the way I made this (the half-recipe) below.  I used my smaller crockpot, but if you are making the full recipe, you'll need a large crockpot.

Slow Cooker Mexican Black Beans

From A Year of Slow Cooking
(Recipe cut in half)

8-10 oz. dried black beans, (sorted; remove pebbles, etc), rinsed, soaked overnight, then drained
3 cups chicken broth or veggie broth
3 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
1/2 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, or 1 cup fresh chopped tomatoes
1/2 tablespoon cumin
1/2 tablespoon chili powder

1.  Put the drained beans into your slow cooker, then add the chopped garlic, broth, tomatoes, cumin, and chili powder. Stir well to combine.

2.  Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or until tender (may take a little longer, depending on your slow cooker.  Just check them). 
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**

No comments: