Friday, December 9, 2011

Almond Pound Cake

I love pound cake, and I also love almond flavors, so this cake was perfect for me.  I wanted a simple, no-fuss, yummy cake for my birthday, so my husand and I made this cake.  Ok, I made it while he talked to me in the kitchen, but that was my fault... he wanted to make it but I insisted on doing it myself.  Sometimes it's hard stepping aside in the kitchen and letting someone else take over!  Actually, I've never done that.  Lol. 

I topped this with homemade caramel sauce.  We also had frozen yogurt with it the first night we ate it.  Very good!

Go check out Peabody's blog for some awesome pics of this cake!  She included sauteed apples and caramel sauce and the pictures are amazing. 

Almond Pound Cake
From Culinary Concoctions by Peabody
Half-recipe; double for full recipe

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons almond meal (almond flour, ground almonds, etc)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 ounce cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 TBSP pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp pure almond extract
3 large eggs, at room temperature

1.  Spray a 8 ½ by 4 ½ inch loaf pan with non stick cooking spray.  Preheat oven to 325F.

2.  In a bowl, sift together the flour, almond meal, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

3.  In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, cream together the butter and cream cheese, about 3 minutes. Gradually beat in the brown sugar and powdered sugar and continue beating until pale and fluffy.  Beat in the vanilla and almond extract.  Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition.

4.  Switch over to using your hand and a spatula. Add the flour mixture and fold into the batter. Do this until no flour can be seen and batter is smooth.  Spoon batter into prepared pan.

5.  Bake until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 40-70 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

1 comment:

LadyJayPee said...

I love me a good pound cake!