Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Blue Cornmeal Buttermilk Waffles

I haven't made a new dinner recipe since December (last year! hardy-har har) and we've just been having our tried-and-true favorites every night (see sidebar on right), with a grilled cheese thrown in for good measure every once in a while.  I made these waffles forever ago; I'm thinking circa the end of November.  There were so many things to blog about last month, though, that I never got around to posting these.  I've also been trying to figure out my new DSLR camera.  I've had it over a month and I'm still so intimidated!  (These waffle pics are pre-DSLR, but some of my other recent pics were taken while experimenting with the beast!)

I love blue cornmeal, and I'm always looking for new recipes to use it in.  We all liked these waffles, and they were great with this blueberry sauce.  (That blueberry sauce deserves its own post; it's so good!)  This recipe makes quite a bit, so you may want to cut it in half if you need less. 

Our other favorite ways to use blue cornmeal:  Buttermilk Blue Cornmeal Pancakes and Blue Cornmeal Cast-Iron Cornbread. 

Blue Cornmeal Buttermilk Waffles
adapted from The Food Network

1 1/2 cups blue cornmeal
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (can use part whole-wheat pastry)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (less if using salted butter)
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups buttermilk
4 eggs
1/3 cup melted butter, plus more for brushing

1.  Preheat your waffle iron.  Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.  (Blue cornmeal, flour, baking powder & soda, salt, and sugar). 

2.  In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients together.  Carefully fold wet ingredients into the dry, mixing just until combined.  Do not overmix. 

3.  Brush your waffle iron with butter, or use cooking spray.  Cook batter according to manufacturer's directions to make waffles.  Serve with butter and syrup, jam, or homemade blueberry sauce. 
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: