Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Chocolate Muddies

When we were first married, I made these cookies often.  Actually, these were the only cookies I ever made back then, for at least two years straight!  I guess I liked them so much I felt no need to branch out with other recipes.  They are very good though!  Making these again was like a blast from the past.  :) 

I first tried my now-favorite hot fudge recipe for these cookies, as they call for hot fudge.  Add the hot fudge either at room temp or cold, not hot. 

I used to make these with white chocolate and raspberry chocolate chips.  Remember Hershey's raspberry chocolate chips?  I don't think they still make those, but I found some raspberry chips on Nuts.com.  I have those on hand for later, but this time around, I used their thier mixed chocolate chips (milk, dark, white, peanut butter, and raspberry).  I loved the results!
Chocolate Muddies
adapted from Betty Crocker via Food.com

1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened (Neufchatel cheese is okay)
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup white chocolate chips or 1 cup peanut butter chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup semisweet chocolate chunk
(or use 2-3 cups of whatever chips you want; I used 2 cups

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper (if using foil, grease with shortening).


3.  In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with and electric mixer (medium speed) until fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Add sugars, extracts, eggs, and fudge topping.  Beat about 3 minutes, or until fluffy.

4.  Mix flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl.  Stir flour mixture into butter mixture until evenly mixed.  Stir in chips.  Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto cookie sheet.

5.  Bake 8-10 minutes, or until edges are set (cookies will appear underbaked).  Cool for 5 minutes, then remove to wire rack to fully cool.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

3 comments:

Donyalem said...

Hello! How do you keep the cookies from falling apart? Ive made these for many years and loved them but they would always fall apart. So I stopped making them but are tempted to try again. Do you have any tips?

Thanks so much!
Donyale Mannino

Donyalem said...

Hello! I have been making these cookies for may years and they would always fall apart. Do you have any suggestions? I stopped making them because of that purpose but they are oh so good! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Donyale Mannino

What a Dish! said...

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions. I'm sure they are still delicious even if they fall apart!