Sunday, December 2, 2012

Mexican Sweet Corn Cake

sccW
I LOVE the Sweet Corn Cake at Chevy's restaurant.  Well, I did love it, about 10 years ago, when I went there like one or two times, lol!!  I still remember how good it was though; my fave part of the meal.  I've been playing around with the idea of making it at home for a while, but I finally did when I spotted a recipe from Our Best Bites.  This stuff is gooood, and just like Chevy's!! 

For those who are not familiar, I think this is kind of like Spoon Bread, although it's weird I'm using that to describe this, since I've never had Spoon Bread, either.  Ha ha!  It's slightly sweet and very corn-flavored, and scoop-able.  It bakes in a water bath- don't be scared.

Mexican Sweet Corn Cake
adapted from Our Best Bites

1/2 cup real butter, softened
1/3 cup masa harina
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup corn meal
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn

1.  Preheat oven to 350.  Combine butter, masa harina, and water, and milk in a medium sized bowl and beat until creamy.

2.  Add corn meal, sugar, salt, and baking powder on top of the creamed butter mixture and use a fork or whisk to lightly whisk just the dry ingredients together. Beat the entire mixture until smooth. Place corn in food processor (I leave mine frozen) and pulse until roughly broken up. Add water and corn to bowl and mix until combined.

3.  Spread mixture in an ungreased 8×8 inch pan and top with foil. Place 8×8 pan inside a 9×13 inch pan and place both pans in oven. Pour hot water in 9×13 inch pan just until it goes about an inch up the sides. Bake for about 55 minutes. Remove from oven, uncover, and let sit 10-15 minutes before serving.
scc2W
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: