Thursday, December 20, 2012

Peppermint Meringue Trees


Meringue Christmas Trees
I thought my kids would get a kick out of these.  They did, but only one of them actually wanted to EAT one of them!  I have no idea why, they all just love meringues.  Maybe the tree shape freaked them out.  I thought these were pretty cool though!  I had 4 egg whites sitting in my fridge leftover from making Peppermint Ice Cream, so I gave these a go. 

Instead of Legos like the original blogger used, I busted out my old Mud Dolls from Spain to take a whimsical Flamenco dancing session among the Peppermint Trees. 
Mud Dolls & Meringue Trees
Well, I've got to run- school parties to attend, groceries to get, more and more holiday food to be made, plus dinner.  Do we really still need to eat dinner every night??!  Merry Christmas!

Peppermint Meringue Trees
adapted from Leanne Bakes

4 eggs whites
1 cup sugar
1/8 tsp tartar
1/8 teaspoon of mint extract
a couple of drops of green food coloring
Rolos, unwrapped
1/4 cup powdered sugar

1.  Line a baking sheet with a Silpat mat or parchment, and heat the oven to 200F.

2.  Very gently, heat the egg whites, sugar, and tartar in the top of a double boiler, whisking just until the sugar has dissolved.  Pour into a (very very) clean bowl of a stand mixer, and add the mint. Beat on medium for a few minutes, and then add the food colouring. It’s okay if it’s quite dark green at this point – it will lighten up considerably.  Beat on medium high (I had my Kitchen Aid at about 6 or 7) until stiff peaks form.

3.  Using a large star tip, pipe the meringue into tree shapes, about an inch or two wide, directly onto the parchment.  Bake for 2 hours, and allow them to cool inside the oven.

4.  When you’re ready to serve, gently sprinkle powdered sugar onto the serving platter. Place Rolos down as tree stumps, and plop the meringue trees on top. Gently sprinkle more icing sugar over top.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **


1 comment:

Manu said...

These meringues are so cute!
Have a nice evening