Thursday, January 17, 2013

Indian Raita (Yogurt Sauce)


raita3W
We had this Raita the other night with our Tandoori Chicken, Grilled Naan and Roasted Cauliflower.  Raita is very similar to Greek Tzatziki.  It is often eaten with spicy foods to cool down the palate.  Our food wasn't very spicy, but we still ate and enjoyed it.  :)  Most of us loved this.  My 6-year old ate a lot with his food, and was scraping out all the leftover Raita and eating it with a spoon. 

The original recipe does not include lemon juice, but I put some in anyway.  I love the lemon flavor in this.  I also used a mix of fresh mint and cilantro.  The second time I made this, I had no fresh herbs, and it still tasted great. 

raita6W
Indian Raita (Yogurt Sauce)
adapted from Epicurious (Bon Appétit Test Kitchen)
(I tripled this recipe for our fam- and we still ate it all)

1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup chopped seeded English hothouse cucumber
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons chopped green onions
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
juice of 1/2 lemon, optional
salt, to taste
1.  Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl.  Add salt to taste.  Chill, covered, until ready to serve. 
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**/

No comments: