Friday, February 22, 2013

Greek 7-Layer Dip

Greek Dip
We had an "Un-Superbowl Sunday" party on Superbowl day, a few weeks ago, and we totally didn't watch the Superbowl.  (I hate football and my husband doesn't really care for it either, yay!)  We rented a movie online- Hotel Transylvania, instead.  I basically just wanted an excuse to make and gorge myself on a bunch of appetizer-type foods and hang out.  We also had Bacon-Jalapeno Cheese Ball and Artichoke Dip
Greek Dip
I had seen a few 7-Layer Greek dips floating around Pinterest, so I adapted a recipe to how I wanted it.  I mainly got my idea from Our Best Bites.  Only, I figured that I really wanted some Tzatziki sauce in here, instead of the flavored cream cheese layer they use.  It all tasted great, but there was one problem with the Tzatziki.  Even though I squeezed all the water our of the cucumber I used, water still seeped out (maybe from the yogurt) and rendered the whole dip pretty watery after about an hour.  (I'm sure the cukes and tomatoes on the dip itself helped.)  So if you choose to use Tzatziki, I have a few tips.  1.  Use strained Greek yogurt, or even strain it yourself.  My yogurt was the really creamy kind, so I should have strained it.  2.  A store-bought tzatziki might be less watery; I'm not sure.  3.  Squeeze all the juice our of your shredded cuke, with your hands.  4.  Make and eat this right away.  If you don't want to deal with Tzatziki, use the flavored cream cheese layer from Our Best Bites.  I think I will, next time.

I used the hummus from Our Best Bites cookbook, but you can use any recipe.  They have a Roasted Red Pepper recipe on their website, which would be good too.  The recipe I used is pretty similar to that; just omit the red pepper and cilantro. 

Greek 7-Layer Dip
adapted from Our Best Bites and other websites

1 1/2 c. hummus (omit pepper and cilantro for plain hummus)
1 recipe Tzatziki Sauce
1 c. seeded, diced cucumbers
1 c. seeded, diced tomatoes
1/2 c. chopped Kalamata olives
1/3 c. chopped green onions (about 3 green onions completely chopped)
1/2 c. crumbled Feta cheese
1/8-1/4 c. minced fresh parsley

1.  In the bottom of an 8x8 inch dish or similar size, spread the hummus.  Then, layer on the Tzatziki sauce.  In order, create layers by sprinkling the cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, onions, Feta cheese, and parsley.

2.  Serve immediately if you want to avoid liquid seepage from the ingredients.  :)  Serve with pita chips, fresh vegetables, crackers, and/or flatbread.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com **

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jim made gyros for our super bowl non-party (we watched the game, but were all too sick to invite the rest of the family over for a party). Next time we make them, I'll have to make this dip to go with, and extra flat bread!

What a Dish! said...

I love gyros! This dip would go well with them, on the side or even on top. Now I need to make gyros. :)