Friday, July 26, 2013

Simple Tomato Sandwiches

mateW
I love the fresh fruits and veggies you can get in summer (if you're not on a tiny island, that is!  Ok, we can get some things... lol).  We passed a roadside farm stand in a tiny town yesterday and had to stop.  I bought these lovely tomatoes, peaches, melon, and fresh-made pico de gallo to enjoy with some tortilla chips later.  These tomatoes are the best I've had this year.... which isn't hard, since I've only had grocery-store ones yet.  But just look at how red and juicy those ones are..... they are amazing.  I love home-grown tomatoes.  (I actually had other pics all uploaded and ready to go from a few days ago, but those pics featured pale grocery-store 'maters.  I thought that sandwich tasted and looked great.... until I had this one!)

My husband grew up eating a version of these sandwiches, I remember my mom eating something similar sometimes, and we usually enjoy them at my Aunt's house when we go to visit her, with fresh tomatoes from her garden.  This isn't really a recipe, and many people probably already make these, but I wanted to put these on here as an idea for a quick summer meal.  
mate1W
Simple Tomato Sandwiches
by What a Dish!, from many different sources

For each sandwich:
1 slice favorite bread (sourdough is really good; but pictured above is Dakota bread from Great Harvest)
mayo or butter
1 slices favorite cheese, optional (pictured above is sharp cheddar)
fresh basil leaves, optional (or other herb)
fresh tomato slices
salt and pepper to taste

1.  Toast the bread.  Spread either mayo or butter over it, and add the cheese, if using.  Top with optional basil leaves, and layer on the fresh tomato slices.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and enjoy immediately.  (We eat these as an open-faced sandwich.)

                                                    **This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: