Monday, March 2, 2015

Cheddar-Garlic Oven-Fried Chicken

I was looking for an easy chicken dish to go with this Creamy Garlic Pasta that my family loves so much.  I had some chicken cutlets on hand, and was looking for a no-fuss oven recipe so I could have them baking while I made the pasta and veggie.  I found this recipe for Oven-Fried Chicken, and was very happy for it.  The Panko coating made it crispy and delicious.  They were fast to put together, quick to bake, and tastes just perfect with the pasta.  The whole family liked everything about dinner that night. (I bet we had lemon broccoli with this... I can't remember and the pics are of the leftovers!)
If you use regular chicken breasts with this, they will take longer to cook, obviously.  I liked the quick-cooking of chicken cutlets.  (In my store, they are just labeled "sliced chicken breast".  Chicken tenders would also be good.  BTW: I'd probably leave the cheddar out next time. There are so many other flavors going on, you'd be fine without it.  Also, I made more chicken the next day and used olive oil instead of butter and it was just as good.
Cheddar-Garlic Oven-Fried Chicken
adapted from Food

1⁄3 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons minced garlic (can use more or less)
2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
salt, to taste (I didn't use any; butter & cheeses are salty)
3⁄4 cup Panko bread crumbs
1⁄2 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
1⁄4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
6-7 chicken cutlets or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1.  Preheat oven to 350°F.  Butter (or use cooking spray) a 9x13 or 11 x 7-inch pan- depending on how much chicken you have.  You don't want the chicken overlapping.  (Mine did a teeny-tiny bit; it was ok.)

2.  In a bowl, combine melted butter with fresh minced garlic, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and optional salt.  In another bowl, combine the dry breadcrumbs with 1/2 cup finely grated cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and ground black pepper.

3.  Dip chicken in butter mixture; then in crumb mixture.  Place in prepared pan and bake uncovered. Chicken cutlets or tenders should only take about 20 minutes.  Check for doneness.  Regular breasts might take 35-45 minutes or until cooked through.  Larger breasts may take more time.  If topping starts to brown too much, cover with foil.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**

No comments: