Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms

I've been wanting to make fried zucchini blossoms ever since moving here!!  The day before Easter I finally saw trays of them for sale in the produce section in my local store.  (Last summer one could also buy small ones attached to baby zucchini in the stores here, but these ones are bigger, making them easier to stuff.)
A friend of mine had stuffed zucchini blossoms on a trip to Italy a few years ago and I've been interested in them ever since.  I haven't seen them on restaurant menus in my part of Italy yet, although we haven't been out to eat much lately.  Maybe they're there now.  Anyway, this recipe comes from her and what she was able to re-create after her trip.  She used goat cheese and I forgot to buy some when I made these, so the first time i used ricotta (not as good; not a lot of flavor) and the second time I used Neufchatel cheese with some sharp cheddar (one could use Parmesan as well). SO GOOD!!  I'd like to try a creamy goat cheese next time, and finally do it "right".  Lol.


Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms
adapted from JP's recipe

20 (or so) zucchini blossoms (I used 20 one time, 12 the next)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt (can add more to taste)
6 oz Neufchatel or soft goat cheese 
handful shredded pepperjack, Montery Jack, cheddar, or Parmesan cheese
olive oil for sautéing

1.  Clean pistils from inside each blossom. Set aside. (I kind of popped them off with my thumbnail.)

2.   In a small bowl, mix together the flour, eggs, milk, & garlic powder until smooth. Set aside.

3.   Fill the inside of each zucchini blossom with the Neufchatel and shredded cheese. Fold the edges of the petals over the cheese to enclose it (gently). 

4. Heat the olive oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.  Dip each stuffed blossom in the batter, allowing any excess batter to run off.

5.  Sauté blossoms until they are golden in color on each side (about 5 minutes).  Drain on paper towels & serve warm.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: