Friday, November 18, 2016

Cranberry Upside Down Cake

This cake was a surprise!!  I made it because it looked easy and I needed to use up some cranberries.  Well, it was SO GOOD!!  Of course I knew it'd be a good cake, but I was blown away by the awesome flavor.  The buttery cake, the caramel layer you cook on the bottom, and the tart cranberries.  So good!  Another great David Lebovitz recipe.  This would be great for Thanksgiving. (Btw, I've made so many of his recipes I'm gonna start a new David L. tag!)  

Note: the recipe calls for 10 oz. of cranberries.  My bag was about 12 oz., but I only used 10 oz.  Next time, I'd just throw the whole bag in there.  It would have been fine.  (The cranberries really cook down, and it wasn't that much extra.)  For now, I'll throw the extra cranberries into some mulling cider, but usually I'm glad not to have a tiny bit of something hanging around in my fridge.  Lol.  
Cranberry Upside Down Cake
adapted from David Lebovitz

Topping:
4 tablespoons (55g/2 ounces) unsalted butter, cubed (I used salted)
3/4 cup (125g) packed light brown sugar
3 cups (280g/10 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries (I'd use my whole bag next time- almost 12 oz)

Batter:
1 1/4 cup (175g) all-purpose flour
1/4 cup (50g) coarse cornmeal or polenta (I used regular cornmeal I had on hand)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, preferably aluminum-free
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (115g/4oz) unsalted butter, cubed, at room temperature (I used salted)
3/4 cup (150g) granulated (white) sugar
grated zest of one lemon
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup (125ml) whole or low fat milk, at room temperature

1. In a 9- to 10-inch (23-25cm) cast iron skillet*, melt the 4 tablespoons of butter and the brown sugar together, stirring frequently, until the sugar and butter is liquefied. When the mixture starts to bubble, remove from heat and set the pan aside. (*You can also use a cake pan, as long as it's ok on the stovetop for the short period of time needed to do this step.)

2. Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC).

3. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal or polenta, baking powder, and salt.

4. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or by hand in a mixing bowl with a spatula, beat the ½ cup of butter, granulated sugar and lemon zest at medium high speed for 3 to 5 minutes, until very light and fluffy.

5. Reduce the speed of the mixer to medium and add the eggs one at a time, stopping the mixer to scrape down the sides. Mix in the vanilla extract.

6. At low speed, add half of the flour mixture, then the milk, then the remaining dry ingredients, mixing just enough so that they’re all combined. Do not overmix. I used a rubber spatula at the end to get the flour fully incorporated.

7. Distribute the cranberries in the prepared pan over the brown sugar mixture and shake the pan so they are in a relatively even layer. Spoon the batter over the cranberries in four mounds, then use a spatula to spread the batter evenly over the fruit.

8. Bake the cake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40-50 minutes. (Mine was done at around 40,) Remove from the oven, wait 10-15 minutes, then run a knife around the cake. Place a serving platter overturned on top of the cake in the skillet, then using oven mitts to cover your hands, flip the two over simultaneously, until the cake releases from the pan.

Storage: The cake is best made and served the same day, warm if possible. You can rewarm slices in the microwave. It is also good served at room temperature.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

2 comments:

Lorcutt said...

Yum, I love cranberries. Going to make this one soon.

Unknown said...

I will definitely be making this!