adapted from Jessica Gavin
1/2 cup red onion, (58g) sliced thin
7 tablespoons red wine vinegar, (105ml) divided
8 cups romaine lettuce, (234g, 8 ounces) chopped (estimate amount)
3/4 cup red or yellow bell pepper, (88g) 3/4 inch dice
1 cup english cucumber, (143g) sliced thin
1 cup cherry tomatoes, (160g) halved
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, (64g)
4 ounces feta cheese, (114g) 1/4 inch cubes
1 tablespoon lemon juice, (15ml)
1 teaspoon dijon mustard, (5ml)
1 teaspoon honey, (5ml) optional
2 teaspoons minced garlic, (7g)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, (120ml)
1. Add sliced red onions and 1/4 cup red wine vinegar to a small bowl. Allow to sit for about 15 minutes, then drain. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the salad.
2. In a large bowl, add the lettuce. Evenly arrange bell pepper, cucumber, tomatoes, drained red onions, kalamata olives and feta cheese on top of the salad.
3. In a medium-sized bowl combine 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, lemon juice, dijon mustard, honey if using, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper.
4. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil into the dressing mixture, vigorously whisking until a thickened dressing is achieved. Season with salt and pepper as desired. If not serving dressing right away, whisk again right before adding to salad as it may separate over time.
5. Serve salad with dressing on the side, or toss to combine before serving.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **