Wednesday, September 19, 2018

One-Pot Pasta & Meatballs (Homemade Spaghettios II)

This pasta was delicious and a hit with the fam.  It was pretty easy, too.  The hardest part is finding the correct pasta shape, which is very important to me! Lol.  You need anelletti for this, and I have a hard time finding it here in Italy, even!!  Maybe it's more common in the South.  I had a bag of it in my pantry from somewhere- I have no idea where I bought it, unfortunately, or I would go back and buy a lot more.  It's such a fun shape! I made a similar recipe many, many years ago, but with a creamier tomato sauce.  I think I might revisit that one and make it meatless next time.  Back then I got the pasta from Trader Joe's.  I have no idea if they still carry it. 
One-Pot Pasta & Meatballs (Homemade Spaghettios II)
adapted from The Kitchn

1 pound uncooked Italian bulk sausage (not links)
3 tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 to 3 cups water or low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
8 ounces dry O-shaped pasta (2 cups), also known as anelli or anelletti
For serving: Parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes

1.  Divide the sausage into 32 (1/2-ounce) portions and roll each one into a tablespoon-sized meatball. (I used a cookie scoop that held one tablespoon for this.  My 7-yr old also helped with this part and loved it.)

2.  Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a 10-inch high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until browned all over, about 3 minutes per side. The meatballs might not be completely cooked at this point. Transfer to a plate.

3.  Return the pan to medium-high heat and melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the onion, salt, and pepper, and cook, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the tomatoes, 2 cups of the water or broth, vinegar, sugar, and oregano. Stir in the pasta and meatballs, along with any juices that have accumulated on the plate. Bring to a boil.

4.  Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is al dente and the meatballs are cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes, adding more water or broth as needed if you want a soupier consistency. Ladle into bowls and top with Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes, if desired.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: