Friday, February 15, 2019

Chicken Panang Curry

I LOVED this Chicken Panang Curry!! I've only ever made Beef Panang before, and it's one of my (and my fam's) favorite meals.   I was hesitant to even try it with chicken, because how could it be better?  But I did try it and I loved it so much.  With the chicken and peppers, the flavor is different enough from my beef version that it tastes like a whole different curry.  I made this twice in two weeks.  The leftovers are amazing, as well.  Thanks to Carlsbad Cravings for this recipe. I'm really wanting to try her other Thai recipes now. I order my Panang curry paste (Mae Ploy brand) off of Amazon.com.  I recently got a package of Kaffir Lime leaves from Nuts.com- they send a lot for your money.  They are not all whole leaves, but I think it's hard to find that.  They smell great and impart great flavor.

By the way, this recipe calls for 3 bell peppers, which seems like too much.  But just use the largest skillet you have (or even a dutch oven) and they cook down enough to work perfectly.  Also, I've never used cornstarch in a curry before (that I remember) but I did use it here; the peppers release some liquid so it made the sauce thick despite that.  It would also be helpful if you decide to use lite coconut milk.

Chicken Panang Curry
adapted from Carlsbad Cravings

1 tablespoon coconut/olive oil
1-2 tablespoons Panang curry paste (Mae Ploy brand is good)
2 pounds chicken breasts thinly sliced into 1/8” slices against the grain
3 red bell peppers, thinly sliced (I used 2 red; 1 yellow)
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
4 garlic cloves, minced
2, 14 oz. cans quality coconut milk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon lime juice
4-5 dried Kaffir lime leaves*
1 cup loosely packed basil leaves, roughly chopped

Garnish (optional)
fresh basil
fresh lime juice
Sriracha sauce

1.  Heat oil over medium high heat in large nonstick skillet. Add curry paste and saute for 1 minute. Add sliced chicken and cook just until chicken is no longer pink. Add ginger and garlic and saute 30 seconds.

2. Add 1 1/2 cans coconut milk. Whisk cornstarch into remaining 1/2 can coconut milk then add to skillet. Stir in sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, kaffir lime leaves, and salt. Simmer for 5 minutes, then add red bell peppers and basil and simmer 2-3 minutes or until peppers are crisp tender. Discard Kaffir lime leaves.

3. Garnish with additional optional fresh basil, lime juice and Sriracha to taste. Serve with rice.
*If you can't get Kaffir lime leaves (but do try to!) you can use 1 bay leaf and 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme.  
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: