Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Gnocchi with Blue Cheese, Spinach, and Bacon (or Pancetta)

This is a new favorite dish of mine.  I made it once because it looked easy, and was blown away by how much I loved it.  Sadly, none of my kids like blue cheese, but my youngest did eat some of this.  My husband and I enjoyed this, and the leftovers are good warmed up.  The first few times, I used bacon, but the last time I made it, I used a small package of cubed, smoked pancetta and it was way easier and tasted just as good (I think).  I'm not sure if one can buy the small packages like that in the States, but it's a good option for those who live in Italy.  (Pic of the small package at the end of this post.)  The pancetta is easy because it's already cubed, and it contains a lot less fat than bacon, so there's less draining of the fat. I actually had to add some olive oil last time I made it to get that one tablespoon of fat.  I got this recipes from the Kitchn- I really love a lot of their recipes.  

Gnocchi with Blue Cheese, Spinach, and Bacon (or Pancetta)
adapted from The Kitchn

6 slices bacon (about 6 oz- OR 4-6 oz of cubed, smoked pancetta)
1 pound fresh, shelf-stable, or frozen gnocchi (I used fresh)
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups packed baby spinach (about 2 ounces) (I roughly chop with clean kitchen scissors right in the glass measuring cup)  
1/2 cup crumbled blue or gorgonzola cheese

1.  Cook the bacon or pancetta over low heat in a large skillet, flipping halfway through, until the fat has rendered out and the bacon is crispy, about 10 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Once cool, crumble the bacon. Drain all but about 1 tablespoon of the fat from the pan.

2.  Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the gnocchi and cook according to the package instructions. (My fresh gnocchi only take 2-3 minutes; are done when they rise to the top.)  Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water, then drain.

3.  Add the gnocchi to the skillet over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden-brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the reserved pasta water, broth, and spinach, and cook, stirring until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the cheese and reserved bacon and stir to combine. Cheese will melt and form a nice sauce with the liquid already in the pan.  

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: