Friday, October 14, 2022

Brown Butter Maple Blondies


These maple bars were so, so good. They had the perfect chewy texture and flavor, and then that maple glaze just sent them over the top. I'm so glad I found this recipe. I need to make it again, and soon. These were gone way too fast, but I fear that making a double batch would be dangerous. Note: I used salted butter and reduced the salt down to 1/2 tsp in the blondies. I think the glaze tastes better with salted butter- if using unsalted, use two pinches instead of one (taste after one, though!)

Note: I liked these so much I had these for my birthday cake in 2022.  They are so good!! 
Brown Butter Maple Blondies 
adapted from Grandbaby Cakes

For the Blondies
1 1/3 cup light brown sugar packed
1/2 cup butter melted, browned and cooled (*see note below from original blog post)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt (3/4 if using unsalted butter)
1/4 tsp baking soda

For the Maple Glaze
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 cup confectioner's sugar sifted
pinch of salt

For the Blondies:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x13 sized baking pan with parchment paper making sure to allow some of the paper to come up the sides of the pan for easy removal. (I am lazy and skipped this, but feel free to use it. I used cooking spray. We just ate ours right out of the pan- lol!)

2.  In your mixer bowl, add brown sugar, browned butter, syrup, vanilla and eggs and mix on medium speed until well combined. Slow mixer down to low speed and add flour, salt and baking soda and mix just until combined- do not overmix. Add blondie batter to parchment paper or pan and spread out using a spatula. Bake for 23-27 minutes (*my Euro oven only took 16-17 minutes to be perfect*, but US ovens may need more time) or until toothpick in center comes out clean.

For the Glaze:
1.  While blondies bake, add butter to a pan over low heat along with syrup and allow butter to melt together with syrup. Once butter melts, quickly whisk in sifted confectioner’s sugar and salt ensuring there are no lumps and spread on warm blondies. Allow glaze to set then cut blondies in bars and serve. (I had some lumps, because I was lazy and did not sift the powdered sugar. Nobody cared though, because these tasted so good. I also whisked my arm off trying to get the lumps out- ha ha.) 

*To Brown Butter:
Place butter in a small non-stick saucepan and turn the heat to medium-high. Once the butter has begun to melt, stir it with a wooden or silicone spoon. A whisk will also work just fine. Allow the butter to keep cooking. First, the butter will begin to bubble and then a foam will form at the top. Next, a nutty scent will start to waft up and there will be tiny brown bits floating to the bottom of the pan. You do not want to let it get too dark. Remove the pan from the heat. Transfer the butter to a heat-safe bowl and allow it to cool completely before using. 

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: