Thursday, February 9, 2023

Thai Red Curry with Beef

I totally meant to make this the intended way- with chicken- but I had a package of stir-fry beef in the fridge, already cut-up and ready to go. I could not resist the ease of just throwing that in and not having to cut raw meat. I hate cutting raw meat. I was pleasantly surprised to realize this tasted super, super amazing with the beef. I might like this better than my fave Panang Beef Curry.  I don't know..... the flavors on this Red Curry were just amazing. So perfect. I'm still thinking about it and I made it almost 2 weeks ago. It IS a bit more work than my Panang, since this one requires chopping veggies.  But, because of said veggies, it also feels like a healthier dish. You've got to try this one. I used Thai Kitchen red curry paste and it was not too spicy at all. I want to try this with chicken soon and see which one I prefer. (PS: Some of the pics look like ground beef, but it's not... it's thinly sliced steak.)

Thai Red Curry with Beef  
adapted from Carlsbad Cravings

1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 pound thinly sliced steak (such as stir-fry steak) OR 1 pound chicken breasts, sliced thin
1/2 large onion, chopped
2 tablespoons red curry paste
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced then chopped into 2” pieces
1 orange or yellow bell pepper thinly sliced then chopped into 2” pieces
1 small zucchini, sliced
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
4 garlic cloves, minced (I used garlic/ginger paste for the ginger + garlic)
1 13.5 oz. can quality coconut milk
1 tablespoon Asian/Thai Sweet Chili Sauce (like Mae Ploy)
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoon fish sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar OR brown sugar
1 kaffir lime leaf OR 1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon salt more or less to taste
1/4 teaspoon pepper
sriracha to taste/Asian chili sauce (optional)

GARNISH
fresh basil
fresh cilantro
fresh lime juice
Steamed Rice, for serving

1.  Heat oil over medium high heat in large nonstick skillet. Add chicken or beef, onion and red curry paste and cook just until meat is no longer pink. Add bell peppers, zucchini, ginger and garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add the coconut milk. Add all remaining ingredients (expect Garnishes).

2.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens and the vegetables reach desired crisp-tenderness. Discard kaffir lime/bay leaf. Garnish with additional optional fresh basil, cilantro, lime juice and Sriracha to taste. Serve with rice.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: