Monday, August 26, 2024

Lemon-Glazed Pound Cake

Growing up, my mom had a Mrs. Fields Cookie book. I think it was this one. My mom, myself and my sister made a lot of the recipes in that book in the 90's. I loved that book! Later, in about 2000, I got my own book, but an updated version of it, with more recipes. It still included my old faves. One of the ones I used to make frequently was this Lemon Pound Cake. I loved this cake! I recently made it again twice; once, in mini bundts for the Fourth of July (no pics) and again, just in a big bundt for my fam to enjoy. It has the typical crusty pound cake crust and a refined crumb. The lemon flavor really shines through, too.

((Awkward- I just realized I posted this exact recipe back in 2009!! Oh well. So good, it needs repeating. Lol.))
Lemon-Glazed Pound Cake 

Cake:
3 cups cake flour, sifted
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 sticks (1.5 cups) salted butter, room temp
1/3 buttermilk, room temp
6 large eggs
2 teaspoons lemon extract
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest

Glaze: 
1/4 freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup granulated sugar

Topping:
powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 3-quart bundt pan.

2. In a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed, blend flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Add butter, buttermilk, and 3 eggs. Beat on low speed until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase speed to high and beat for 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl.

3. Add lemon extract and lemon zest, and blend at medium speed. Add the remaining 3 eggs, one at a time, beating on high speed for 30 seconds after each addition. 

4. Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Check often at the end- do not overbake.

5. While pound cake is baking, prepare lemon glaze. In a small saucepan, heat lemon juice and sugar over low heat. Stir constantly until sugar dissolves.

6. When cake is done, remove from oven and leave cake in pan. With a toothpick, poke holes in the surface of the cake, and pour half the glaze over it. Cool in pan 15 minutes, then invert on a cooling rack or cake plate. Brush top of cake with remaining lemon glaze. Cool to room temperature, then dust with powdered sugar. 

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: