Thursday, June 30, 2011

Homemade Taco Seasoning

I like using this homemade taco seasoning mix instead of the store-bought stuff.  In fact, I don't think I've ever bought the stuff from the store.  It's full of stuff we don't need, like a ton of salt, maybe MSG and other questionable items, and this is just way cheaper, too.  I add only a tiny bit of salt to mine; figuring that I can add more salt to recipes I make if I want to. 

I double this recipe when I make it, so I have more and it lasts longer.  I store it in an empty spice jar labeled "Taco".  Lol.  The great thing about making your own spice mixes (or anything!) is that you can add or take away anything you want to.  You can add chipotle powder or smoked paprika in here for that smokey flavor.  Add whatever you want!

Use this seasoning whenever you need taco seasoning.  I use this taco seasoning to make the following recipes:  this Avocado-Corn salad, Spoon Tacos, Beef & Bean Burritos, Shredded Beef Tacos, and this Layered Dip (can be used instead of the chili and cumin powders). 

Homemade Taco Seasoning
adapted from Allrecipes

1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper, optional
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon sea salt (more to taste)
1 teaspoon black pepper

1.  Combine ingredients in an empty, clean spice jar with a lid.  Put the lid on, and shake until combined.  2-3 Tablespoons equals one storebought packet of taco seasoning. 
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**

No comments: