Monday, June 25, 2012

Chicken & Zucchini Soup with Heart-Shaped Carrots

Another rainy, blustery day calls for sharing another soup recipe.  This one is summer-friendly in that it uses zucchini.  I was making this along with some bread product (can't remember now) and in order to avoid the double starchy carbs, I swapped out noodles for sliced zucchini.  It was really killing two birds with one stone, as I had some zucchini that was really, really needing to be used up, and I wanted to avoid noodles!

The most fun thing about this recipe is the heart-shaped carrots.  I saw this recipe over on SophisiMom and knew I had to make it soon!  I love the heart-shaped carrots.  Click on the link for a tutorial on how to make the carrots into hearts- it's a lot easier than you think!  She has great step-by-step photos that made it so easy.  Go take a look!

For this recipe, I just simmered two large chicken breasts in water and a bit of garlic salt.  My chicken breasts had bones and skin, so after simmering, I just took off the skin/bones and threw them away.  I kept the simmering water and used it as my broth in the recipe. 
Chicken & Zucchini Soup with Heart-Shaped Carrots
adapted from SophistiMom

1 tablespoon olive oil
three large carrots, cut into hearts (see instructions)
1 medium onion, diced
2 celery stalks, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
2 stalks fresh thyme (optional)
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 large sage leaves (optional)
4 cups low sodium chicken stock
2-3 cups water
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
pinch cayenne pepper
salt and pepper, to taste
2 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 large or 2 small zucchini, diced (do not peel)
fresh parsley

1. In a large pot set over medium-low heat, combine olive oil, carrot hearts, diced onion, celery, thyme (both kinds), bay leaf, and sage. Sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt. Cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add in stock, a cup of water, and vinegar. Add in cayenne pepper, and bring to a boil.

2.  After about 20 minutes, check the soup for flavor, and add more water, salt and pepper, as necessary.  Add cooked chicken and zucchini, and simmer until zucchini is tender (5-10 minutes).  Stir in fresh parsley, and serve. 

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com **

No comments: