Monday, October 5, 2009

Simple Slow Cooker Beef Stew

I love soups, stews, and chowders, especially in the fall and winter. I also love the ease of using my crockpot. I looked at a few slow-cooker beef stew recipes, but none seemed to be what I wanted, so I made up my own very simple recipe. For extra flavor, I browned the meat first on the stove, then de-glazed the pan with beef broth. I didn't add any salt to this recipe, because the beef broth contained enough salt; salt to taste, if you need to.

BTW, it's not a good idea to hold a crockpot full of this (hot) beef stew, or any other hot liquid, on your lap in the car while your husband drives the fam to a potluck. Especially if there are any traffic circles on the way.

Simple Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Recipe by What A Dish!

1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat (cut into chunks- I buy mine pre-cut)
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove minced
1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 lbs chopped potatoes
4 cups beef broth broth
fresh-ground pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons cold water
1-2 cups frozen peas, optional (see photo below)

1.  In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Cook onion for a few minutes in the skillet. Move onions to slow cooker.

2.  Meanwhile, put 1/2 cup flour into a large shallow bowl, and dredge the beef cubes in it. Cook the beef in the skillet until browned on all sides (may need to add a little more oil). Place beef in slow cooker.
3.  Return the skillet to the heat, and add a few tablespoons of the beef broth to it. Scrape up any brown bits with a spoon or spatula. Add this liquid to the slow cooker. Add garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes, the rest of the broth, and black pepper to the slow cooker.

4.  Cover, and cook on "low" for 7-8 hours. About an 30-60 minutes before you want to eat, turn the slow cooker to "high".  Combine the cold water and 3 TBS of flour (shake in a jar until no lumps remain). Whisk this mixture into the slow cooker to thicken the stew. Continue cooking until thickened.  Taste, and add more pepper, and some salt, if needed.  Add peas, if using, and let warm through for a few minutes.
 
 
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

3 comments:

Linda said...

I haven't made beef stew in SO long! This looks like the ultimate recipe.

Are you going to sue your hubby? ;)

Allison Chamberlain said...

I made this for my family today, and it was just right. I'll certainly be making it again! Thanks for posting!

What a Dish! said...

Thank you, Allison; so great to hear!