Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Almond-Poppy Seed Quick Bread

When I was a child, my mom used to make an almond-flavored poppyseed bread.  I loved it!  Most recipes for poppyseed bread (or muffins) involve lemon flavoring instead of almond, which makes sense, but I've been wanting almond-poppyseed for a long time.  I finally decided to try a recipe on Allrecipes.  The recipe is for muffins- but I made two bread loaves with it.  I made the recipe with a few changes- subbing some applesauce for the oil, less sugar, and some whole wheat pastry flour added.  I didn't include the glaze, which had OJ.  I'm sure it's tasty, but I don't want my almond flavor taken over by orange.  I made up my own glaze recipe, which I'll include below.  This was so good, and tasted just like the bread I remember eating!!  It was moist too- the glaze helps with that, and also holds the bread's moisture in. 

Almond-Poppy Seed Quick Bread
adapted from Allrecipes

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons poppy seeds
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 natural, unsweetened applesauce
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups 1% milk
2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract

Almond Glaze:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
milk- enough to make a thick spreading consistency

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease bottoms of two 8-inch loaf pans.

2.Mix together flours, salt, baking powder, poppy seeds, oil, applesauce, eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and almond flavoring. Pour into prepared pans.

3.Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45-60 minutes. Cool 5 minutes, turn out of pans. 
 
4. Mix up glaze in a medium bowl -pour over loaves.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com**

No comments: