Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Grilled Pepperjack Cheese & Tomato

I had some pepperjack cheese in the fridge leftover from something else, and decided it would make a good grilled cheese sandwich.  I added a slice of honey chicken breast (during pregnancy, deli meat must be heated until steaming to kill any potential listeria bacteria) and some sliced baby grape tomatoes.  A regular, full-size tomato would have worked better, obviously, but I only had the grape ones on hand, and I really wanted tomato in my sandwich.  They were very flavorful and I loved them in there. 

I don't cook my grilled cheese sandwiches on the stove; I bake them in the oven.  This is a little easier, and you can get away with using less butter, too, because the heat of the oven does a pretty good job of browning the bread.  I still use a little butter, though.  I know a lot of people don't need a recipe for grilled cheese, but bear with me, man.

Grilled Pepperjack Cheese & Tomato
one serving

2 slices of whole-grain bread
thinly sliced pepper-jack cheese, enough to cover one slice of bread
1 slice chicken or turkey deli meat
2 big slices tomato, or lots of sliced grape tomatoes
butter, about 2 teaspoons

1.  Preheat the oven to 400 F.  Butter the outside of one slice of bread with about 1 teaspoon of butter, and place it butter-side down on a small baking sheet.  Place cheese, meat, and tomato on top of bread.  Butter the other side of bread with the remaining butter and place on top of the tomato, butter-side facing up.  Bake about 5 minutes, or until top is slightly browned, and flip and cook on the other side until bread is browned and cheese is melted. 

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

1 comment:

LadyJayPee said...

"Bear with me, Man!" LOL! I'm bearing; I'm bearing! We have some pepperjack and I wouldn't have thought to use it in a grilled cheese, so thanks for the idea. I didn't know that about deli meat. I don't buy it often, but even if I'm not preg, I'd prefer not to eat listeria-laden food. Ewww! Thanks!