Thursday, February 24, 2011

Homemade Chocolate Syrup

Here is a great alternative to buying chocolate syrup- making your own!  We're usually not big consumers of chocolate sryup around here (we love hot fudge though!!), but using it in chocolate milk, lately, has been a good way for me to get a bevearage down in the evenings when I'm feeling my most nauseous.  I'll usually have some chocolate milk for dinner, and it helps the meal go down easier. 

I bought some Hershey's, but the first ingredient in that is high-fructose corn syrup- yuck!  Nobody needs that.  So I made my own, out of only cocoa, water, sugar, vanilla, and a pinch of salt.  SO easy- it really only takes about 3-5 minutes, and it tastes way better, and does not have HFCS or any other scary ingredients.  I use about 1 tablespoon in a glass of milk to lightly flavor it- good times!  (BTW, if you live close to a Trader Joe's, they have (or used to have) an organic chocolate syrup called Midnight Moo.  It used to be only $.99, too!  This homemade stuff is probably just a little cheaper than that). 

This turns out a little thinner than store-bought syrup, but it is fine for my needs.  One could probably use a little honey in place of sugar to thicken it, but I'm not sure how that would work.  I did reduce the sugar just a tad.
Homemade Chocolate Syrup

2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 2/3 cups white sugar
pinch sea salt
1 1/4 cups water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1.In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine cocoa, sugar, salt, and water. Bring to a boil and let boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Let cool before transferring to a container and storing in the fridge.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: