Friday, February 11, 2011

Pico de Gallo

I am lucky enough to have a friend from Mexico here who has graciously agreed to teach me some authentic Mexican dishes.  Yesterday, she had me and a few other ladies over, and we made flautas.  To go along with those, we also made two different kinds of salsa, and she had made some tomatillo salsa ahead of time.  Besdies the tomatillo salsa, we made this deLISH fresh Pico de Gallo, and also a cooked salsa that contained tomatos, garlic, and some dried, smoked chilis.  We ate the flautas topped with crema, white cheese, our choice of salsa, and lettuce, tomato, and onion.  They were so beautiful, but I didn't want to bust out my camera in front of everyone, plus, I could not wait to dig in!  I ate my face off, I'm afraid to say, but I loved every bite. 

I jotted down her Pico de Gallo recipe and headed to the store immediately upon leavng her house, so that I could buy the ingredients and make it ASAP.  Sadly, I had to wait till today to make it, since yesterday I was up to my eyeballs in cookie dough and frosting all afternoon/evening, but I'm happy to say that the Pico is all assembled and waiting for me in the fridge for dinner tonight... I can't wait. 

On a side note, I dropped off some of those cookies to that same friend today to say thanks, and she sent me home with a bag of homemade tamales!  I told her I would be happy to learn more dishes, and we have a date to make sopes next week (and she wants me to teach her how to bake cookies!)

This is her recipe but with my tiny changes- namely only using one jalepeno instead of three because I'm a wimp!  I also remove all seeds and ribs from the jalepeno.  She uses lemon juice instead of lime, and I just love the lemon in there.  It's so good. 

Pico de Gallo
from L.B.

5-6 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 small white onion, chopped
1-3 fresh jalepenos, finely chopped
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
juice of either 1 small lemon or lime, or the juice of 1/2 large lemon (can add more to taste)
salt, about 1/2 teaspoon, or to taste

1.  Combine ingredients in a bowl.  Refrigerate to allow flavors to blend, or eat right away and enjoy.  :)

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

3 comments:

LadyJayPee said...

I can't wait for your Mexican food lessons to appear here! I love Mexican, and am ready to binge on it myself. I've even been checking out Mexican food cookbooks from the library and have a tortilla press ordered! I will make your pico for sure! Thanks for sharing what you're learning. (I'll try not to use any more exclamation points!) :D

Linda said...

I love that you ate your face off. ;) Those photos are beautiful. I usually use lime too, but I used a meyer lemon in my salsa over the weekend, and I loved it. I'm looking forward to trying this!

What a Dish! said...

JPee, I love exclamation points myself!! Lol! I will try to take my camera to our next session. I hope you like the Pico if you make it.
Thanks, Linda. I bet the Meyer lemon was good!