Thursday, March 3, 2011

Rice with Herbes de Provence & Pine Nuts

We had this rice with dinner the other night, and it was so good- the whole family loved it.  My pickiest child smelled it cooking when he got home and was just begging to eat some before dinner (and I totally let him).  My daughter took the leftovers in her school lunch.  This will definitely be a repeat for us.  I was able to buy Herbes de Provence when we last visited Germany and went to France; they were not available on my small island, but you can order them through the mail (from Penzey's, for instance) if you can't find them locally. 

We had these Salmon Cakes and Caesar Salad for dinner with the Herbes de Provence rice.... all recipes from the blog Eating, Etc. and every recipe outstanding!  I loved dinner that night. 

Eating, Etc. uses brown basmati rice in her recipe, and I would have loved to, but I ran out of that a while ago and I can't get it here.  So, I just used regular grocery-store brown rice, and it was still amazing.  You can do this recipe on the stove or in a rice cooker.  For rice cooker instructions, check Eating Etc's original post (link below).

Rice with Herbes de Provence & Pine Nuts
from Eating, Etc.

1 cup uncooked brown rice
2-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 Tablespoon herbes de Provence
1 Tablespoon butter
splash or two of chardonnay wine, optional
1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
salt & pepper, optional

On stove-top:

1) In a medium saucepan, over high heat, stir together rice, chicken broth, herbes de Provence, butter, & wine until simmering.

2) Reduce heat to low, cover (no peeking!), and cook about 35-40 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed.

3) In a small dry skillet, over medium-high heat, toast pine nuts, stirring constantly until golden brown.

4) Stir toasted pine nuts & lemon zest into rice mixture and serve immediately.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: