Friday, May 4, 2012

Super Easy Chicken Tacos

The other day, I was at the store, looking for some ground beef so that I could make tacos that night.  Well, there was no ground beef there.  At all.  This happens a lot here, probably every week, if you are there on the wrong day.  I always keep at least 2 lbs. of ground beef in my freezer, but since I wanted it a few hours later I tried to think of other options for the filling.  (BTW, I have browned totally frozen ground beef before, without thawing it out, and it's just fine.  Just make sure to use a non-stick pan.  I just didn't feel like dealing with it that night).

Our store DID have rotisserie chickens ready, though!  So I brought one of those home and pulled all the meat off and stuck that in the fridge.  When dinnertime came, I just took out a non-stick skillet, added a tiny bit of olive oil, a lot of salsa and lime juice (and some water, when it started drying out), and some taco seasoning.  I just simmered this mixture, stirring often, until the chicken was warmed through.  Then we ate the chicken on whole wheat tortillas with lettuce, cheese, avocado, and sour cream.  I enjoyed these very much!  And if you want, go ahead and make chicken stock with the leftover CARCASS (I hate that word!  Ha ha!) of your spent rotisserie chicken. 

Make these for Cinco de Mayo tomorrow!  ;)

Super Easy Chicken Taco Meat
by What a Dish!

1/2 or 1 whole rotisserie chicken, meat shredded
1 teaspoon olive oil
salsa, to taste (1/4-1/2 cup, or more)
1 tablespoon (or more) taco seasoning
juice of 1/2 lime

1.  In a large, non-stick skillet, warm the oil.  Add the chicken and then the salsa, taco seasoning, and fresh lime juice.  Stire frequently with a rubber spatula until the mixture is warmed through.  Serve on tortillas with lettuce, tomato, avocado, cheese, and sour cream, if desired. 

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**

No comments: