Sunday, June 15, 2014

Sushi

sushi3W
Back in May, my good friend came over and showed me how to roll sushi.  This is the same friend who showed me how to make lumpia, pancit, yakisoba, and Japanese croquettes.  She just moved on Friday, and I'll miss her.  I'm glad I have these recipes to remember her by, though. 
sushi1W

sushi5W
This isn't really a recipe; more of a method.  I still need a lot of practice; I was flinging sticky rice everywhere.  Also, my friend brought over a rice cooker, which made everything easier.  I don't own one.  First, we made the rice and prepared the fillings.  We prepared a lot of fillings!  If I was doing it alone, I would have just stuck with one or two.  But we made: fried pork cutlets, fried shrimp, cut cucumber, cut avocado, thin egg omelets, cut lettuce, raw tuna in a sauce, and a ginger-beef mixture (she had already made that at home).  We also mixed together mayo and Sriracha sauce to include inside the sushi rolls and to dip into.  

I picked about two fillings for each roll.  I loved the friend shrimp and pork cutlet.  To fry these, dip in flour, egg and panko, and fry in oil (I think! lol).  Then just set aside until needed.  To roll sushi, I'll include some photos of my friend rolling, because that's easier than explaining.  But I will try a little.... start with a bamboo sushi mat, covered with plastic wrap, covered with a sheet of nori.  With wet hands, gently pat down a thin layer of sticky rice on top; add your toppings in a single line, and roll, pressing roll gently so it sticks together. Here come the photos!
sushi8W

sushi9W

sushi9bW

sushi9cW
Sushi

Sushi Rice (can multiply; we did x5 to make a ton of rolls)
1 cup of rice
20 grams sugar
20 grams rice vinegar
salt, to taste (or add none)

Other ingredients:
Nori sheets

Toppings:
raw tuna + mayo mixed together with green onion
Panko-fried shrimp
Panko- fried pork loin
shredded, seeded and chopped cucumbers
sliced avocado
lettuce
thin egg omelet (like a crepe)
any leftovers you want to throw in
(mix and match from above or do you own thing)

Soy Sauce
Mayo + Sriracha sauce

1.  To make sushi rice, cook rice in a rice cooker or on the stove.  In a small pot on the stove, add the rice vinegar and sugar together and heat gently until sugar is dissolved.  Pour over cooked rice.  Let cool a little before making sushi.  

2.  To roll sushi, start with a bamboo sushi mat, covered with plastic wrap, covered with a sheet of nori. With damp hands (have a small bowl of water handy), gently pat down a thin layer of sticky rice on top; add your toppings (2-3) in a single line, and roll, pressing roll gently so it sticks together. This part may take practice, or look up a few Youtube vids.  :)  

3.  When rolled, transfer to a cutting board and cut with a very sharp knife.  We used a serated knife and it worked well.  Serve with either soy sauce or mayo mixed with a little Sriracha sauce for dipping, if desired.  
*Gluten-free if you stick with gluten-free fillings; Panko contains gluten.
sushi6W
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: