Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Dill Dip + Homemade Beau Monde Seasoning


One of my aunts makes a really good Dill Dip that's also great over baked potatoes.  I finally made it myself recently, and we had it over baked potatoes for dinner one night.  I took a pic with the leftovers the next day- it's also super good as a chip dip.  I'm going to make it in a few days for one of our New Year's Eve appetizers, and we'll dip veggies into it so we can feel a little bit virtuous as we're stuffing our faces with other unhealthy things.  I'm also planning on using light sour cream (but regular mayo).
Besides dried dill weed, a very important flavor in this dip is Beau Monde seasoning.  One doesn't see this around much anymore, and I of course can't get it over here.  I looked into ordering it online and it was SUPER expensive.  So I looked up a recipe to make my own, and it's SUPER easy, and I had everything I needed at home already.  The ingredients are just onion powder, celery salt, and sugar.  That's it!!! I'm glad I looked it up, because I've made this in the past without Beau Monde and it's just not as good. I'll include the recipe below. (I came across a ton of recipes with weird stuff like cloves and cinnamon, and that is NOT the Beau Monde I know and love.  The recipe below is just right.)

Dill Dip
from my Aunt M.L.

1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayo
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 tablespoon dried dill weed
1 teaspoon Beau Monde seasoning, recipe below

1.  Combine all ingredients.  You can let it sit in the fridge for a few hours for the flavors to come together, but it's good right away too.  You can serve over baked potatoes, or use as a chip or veggie dip.

Homemade Beau Monde Seasoning
from Food

2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons celery salt
1 tablespoon white sugar (can use super-fine sugar, but I didn't, and it was fine)

1.  Mix all ingredients and store in an air-tight jar or container.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: