Friday, January 25, 2019

Slow Cooker Sausage & Potato Soup

This is a copycat recipe for Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana soup.  I've never had that before, and it's been probably 12 years since I've even eaten there, but I really liked this soup.  It was simple to make and had great flavor.  I sprinkled Aleppo Pepper from Penzey's on my bowl before eating- this added a subtle spiciness.  You could use hot pepper flakes or hot paprika too.  The original recipe called for a garnish of Parm, but 1) I didn't want to open my wedge of Parm 2) It doesn't really need it; there's so much flavor without the added cheese.  But you can try it; I'm sure it would be wonderful. 
Slow Cooker Sausage & Potato Soup
adapted from Homemade Hoopla

1 lb ground hot Italian sausage
1 tbsp garlic minced
1 yellow onion, chopped
3-4 russet potato diced (I used 3, I thought 4 would be too much)
1 pinch salt, to taste (I omitted...sausage is salty)
1/2 tsp black pepper
4 cup low-sodium chicken broth (32 oz)
water, if needed (see recipe)
2 handfuls baby spinach or baby kale, roughly chopped
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese (optional- for topping)

1.  In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown and crumble hot Italian sausage, about 5-8 minutes. Add onion and garlic and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until some of the onion begins to turn opaque (no need to cook onion completely at this point). Drain grease from skillet.

2.  In a 6 quart crock pot (or bigger), add cooked sausage & veggies plus the diced potato. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour chicken broth on top. There should be enough broth to cover the tops of the potatoes; if there isn't, add up to 2 cups water so potatoes are covered.

3.  Gently stir ingredients, cover crock pot, and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
Remove lid from crock pot and add spinach or kale and heavy whipping cream, then stir to combine.  Cover crock pot and cook on HIGH for another 30 minutes.  Serve immediately with shredded parmesan cheese as garnish, optional. 
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**

No comments: