Sunday, July 12, 2020

Gnocchi Ricotta with Sage Butter

These lumpy bumpy shapes were some of the best things I've ever eaten!!  Ricotta gnocchi- where have you been all my life??!  They were incredibly delicious and so easy to make!  So much easier than potato gnocchi.  You just quickly stir ricotta, eggs, flour and parmesan together and drop little scoops into salted, boiling water.  When they float to the top, scoop them out and deposit them right into a skillet with butter and fried sage leaves.  SO GOOD!!!  (I'm wondering if I could use my smallest cookie scoop next time instead of two spoons....)  I even accidentally cooked some of the gnocchi too long in the butter, and they turned crusty on the bottom.  Those were good too! Lol- I thought I had ruined them.  Try these- such an easy alternative to potato gnocchi.  I made these with my daughter and I think they're easy enough for teens to make by themselves. 

Gnocchi Ricotta with Sage Butter
adapted from the NY Times, via Seattle Times

One 15-ounce container ricotta cheese, preferably whole milk (I used 16 oz- it was fine)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
Freshly ground black pepper
3/4 to 1 cup flour
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
10 or more sage leaves.

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it. Combine the ricotta, eggs and Parmesan in a large bowl, along with some salt and pepper. Add about 1/2 cup flour and stir; add more flour until the mixture forms a very sticky dough. Scoop up a spoonful of dough and boil it to make sure it will hold its shape; if it does not, stir in a bit more flour.

2. Place the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. When it melts and turns a nutty brown color, add the sage. While it fries, drop the ricotta mixture by the rounded tablespoon into the boiling water, working in batches of six or so at a time so as not to overload the pot.

3. When the gnocchi rise to the surface, remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to the skillet. When all the gnocchi are done, toss, taste and adjust the seasoning, and serve immediately.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: