Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Grilled Flatbread with Israeli Salad

I made this recipe twice because I could not get the bread right.  It looks great in the pics, but it was a pain to make.  The recipe calls for equal amounts of flour and yogurt (plus salt and baking powder), for a flatbread without yeast, but I think the proportions are wrong.  I thought maybe I had messed up, so I tried again, and it was even worse the second time.  A giant mess where I had to keep adding flour until I finally got so frustrated I gave up and we threw the sticky breads onto the grill, where they made a mess, but at least still tasted good.  Anyway, all that to say, this recipe is so tasty that I'd make it again, with my no-fail grilled naan bread for the flatbread.  The taste is similar, since there's yogurt in both, and that recipe has never failed me. I've made it probably 100 times.  (Hopefully everyone can get yeast now!)  I'll include my naan recipe below instead of the original flatbread one from the Kitchn.

The hummus topping the warm flatbread, covered with the veggie salad and feta and olives.... such wonderful flavors all together!  A good meatless meal for summer too.  I really like the salad recipe and the whole idea of this; I can't wait to make it again, this time using my beloved naan bread recipe.  :) Note: If you don't like mint, use basil instead.

Grilled Flatbread with Israeli Salad
adapted from the Kitchn; Naan recipe here

Grilled Naan Bread:
3+ cups flour (Can use one cup of whole wheat flour)
1 ½ teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons yeast
2/3 cup warm milk
2/3 cup Greek or regular yogurt (room temp)
Ghee or vegetable oil for greasing
olive oil
1 Tablespoon za'atar, optional

Israeli Salad:
1 pound multi-colored cherry tomatoes, halved (about 3 cups)
1 English cucumber, diced
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 medium red onion, diced
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves (can use basil, instead or in addition)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground sumac (optional)
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the grill
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

For assembly:
3/4 cup hummus
Crumbled feta cheese and pitted kalamata olives, for serving (optional)

Naan Bread:
1. In a large mixing bowl (I used my Kitchenaid) dissolve the yeast in the milk and sugar, and stir in the yogurt. Add the flour and stir in the salt and baking powder. Mix thoroughly with the flour to form a dough.

2. Using your Kitchenaid or your hands, knead the dough until it is smooth and only slightly sticky (you might need to add more flour, I did), and place in a bowl covered with a clean cloth. Place in a warm place to rise for 2-4 hours.

3.  Heat the grill to medium-high, direct heat (400 to 450°F). Toss the tomatoes, cucumbers, bell pepper, onion, parsley, and mint together in a large bowl. Add the lemon juice, sumac, and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper; set aside.

Grill the flatbreads:
4.  Divide the risen dough into 12 equal sized portions and roll them into balls. On a lightly floured surface flatten the balls into oblong shapes, using both hands and slapping the naan from one hand to the other. (Or you can just use a rolling pin; I find that easier).

5.  Rub your grill grates with oil. Preheat your grill for 5-10 minutes on high (for gas). You want it nice and hot when that dough comes into contact. Place rolled-out naans onto grill and wait for the one side to cook and brown a little. The raw side should bubble up. Brush the raw side with olive oil, and flip over to cook the other side. Cook until you reach your desired color. (You can brush the other side with oil, too).

6. If cooking indoors: Grease a griddle or heavy based frying pan lightly with olive oil and heat it until it is very hot. Cook the naan on one side only a few at a time (careful not to burn it). Spread the raw side with oil, and flip and cook the other side until browned.

Assemble:
7.  Divide the hummus evenly among flatbreads, followed by Israeli salad. Top with feta, olives, and another drizzle of olive oil, if desired.
 **This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: