Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Pancake Day!

Well, I think today is Pancake Day.  I was confused last week on March 1, when some of my Facebook friends were stating that IHOP was having free pancakes for Pancake Day.  I'm still going for today, though.  Since it is Pancake Day, I made German Pancakes for dinner tonight.  It's been a while since I've made them, and I've forgotten just how darn easy they are!!  They take almost no time to mix up; the oven pre-heating is the largest time sucker here.  It was just me and two of my kids home for dinner tonight; I think I'd have to make two batches if the whole fam was home.  This is the recipe I started making when I was in college and then newly married, from my Betty Crocker cookbook (I got the book in 2000).  I used my 10.5 inch cast-iron skillet for this.... it baked up awesome!!!  I loved it!  I also didn't have to bake as long- watch this one while it's in the oven. 

Other Pancake recipes for Pancake Day:
Blue Cornmeal Pancakes
Oatmeal Ginger Buttermilk Pancakes
Swedish Pancakes
Vanilla Bean Pancakes
Basic Buttermilk Pancakes
Eggnog Pancakes
Pumpkin Pancakes

German Pancake (Puffy Oven Pancake)
adapted from Betty Crocker

1 tablespoon butter
2 large eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (I've use half ww pastry w/good results)
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt (I used sea salt)

1.  Heat oven to 400 F.  Melt butter in pie plate or cast-iron skillet (9 or 10 inches), in pre-heating oven.

2.  Beat eggs slightly in medium bowl with wire whisk.  Beat in remaining ingredients.  Do not overbeat.  Pour into hot pie plate or skillet.

3.  Bake 18-30 minutes (ovens vary widely; watch it) or until puffy and deep golden brown.  Serve immediatly sprinkled with powdered sugar and lemon juice, if desired, of fruit and maple syrup. 

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: